PDA

View Full Version : Need a guy who does "inspection" in Collin County.

mvrk10256
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Basically i installed aftermarket headers and my BMW no longer passes emissions. according to the DPS website they are going to do a sniffer test on my car, and it will not pass emissions. I need a guy who can do an inspection and overlook this. the car is fine in every other way.

thanks.

Vandit
03-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Are you certain it won't pass a sniff test or are you just assuming since you installed an "off-road only" mod? Does it still have cats?

mvrk10256
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Are you certain it won't pass a sniff test or are you just assuming since you installed an "off-road only" mod? Does it still have cats?

i have no cats. and hence no way in hell can i pass the sniffer. i am working on getting rid of the CEL atm.

wierd thing is i simed the o2 sensors and now its telling me i have the fallowing codes.

SAE Code P0170
DTC Code 16554
Description Fuel Trim, Bank1 Malfunction

SAE Code P0173
DTC Code 16557
Description Fuel Trim, Bank2 Malfunction

SAE Code P1188
DTC Code 17596
Description Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to ground

SAE Code P1189
DTC Code 17597
Description Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to B+

mvrk10256
03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
:bump:

RaceMX-M3
03-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Inspection stickers are overrated. :rolleyes:

mvrk10256
03-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Inspection stickers are overrated. :rolleyes:
:dito:

however it is necessary for me at this point.

i was wondering if i went to another county like grayson where they do not do inspections would it pass there?

mordor110
03-20-2010, 02:19 AM
:dito:

however it is necessary for me at this point.

i was wondering if i went to another county like grayson where they do not do inspections would it pass there?

Yeah just a safety inspection in Grayson Co, no emissions, BUT you have to have the car registered in the county to be able to go there. I live close to the border of Collin/Grayson in Collin Co. I can inspect my motorcycle in Grayson but NOT my cars, unless they are exempt from emissions testing (i.e. diesel, pre 1975 etc).

There's a guy I go to in Grayson Co, Larry Adams, 85 Redden Rd, Van Alstyne, 75495 (Adams Automotive, right off the service rd of 75). If you can get an insurance card with Grayson Co address he may do your inspection.

In Dallas there's a place I go to on the NW corner of Spring Valley & 75, Mikes Tires, or Hi 5 tires. They're pretty good with me, as long as it passes the OBD II or emissions it gets a sticker. My Land Rovers had a leaking exh manifold for 3 years and they never give me any bother about it. A few other places did before I found these guys. If you're post 1996 with OBD II you should pass if you can get your codes cleared. OBD II cars don't get sniffed normally, just hooks up to the OBD II diag port and checks for error codes. No actual tail pipe sniffing. What year is your car? I know the Mustang guys usually buy a jumper resistor that plugs into the O2 connector and gives the OBD computer a good signal so it thinks the O2 sensor is working and all is normal with the cats etc.

mvrk10256
03-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Yeah just a safety inspection in Grayson Co, no emissions, BUT you have to have the car registered in the county to be able to go there. I live close to the border of Collin/Grayson in Collin Co. I can inspect my motorcycle in Grayson but NOT my cars, unless they are exempt from emissions testing (i.e. diesel, pre 1975 etc).

There's a guy I go to in Grayson Co, Larry Adams, 85 Redden Rd, Van Alstyne, 75495 (Adams Automotive, right off the service rd of 75). If you can get an insurance card with Grayson Co address he may do your inspection.

In Dallas there's a place I go to on the NW corner of Spring Valley & 75, Mikes Tires, or Hi 5 tires. They're pretty good with me, as long as it passes the OBD II it gets a sticker. My Land Rover's had a leaking exh manifold for 3 years and they never give me any bother about it. A few other places did before I found these guys.

thanks, unfortunatly i do not live in grayson county, and the car is registered in collin county, cause that where i live. however i am close to spring valley and 75 and i can clear the code and passs obdII inspection, just not emissions. so i will try their place.

RaceMX-M3
03-21-2010, 12:37 AM
My inspection sticker expired in January. I think I will see how long I can go b4 I get a ticket. How much are the tickets anyway?

mvrk10256
03-21-2010, 12:40 AM
My inspection sticker expired in January. I think I will see how long I can go b4 I get a ticket. How much are the tickets anyway?

$120 i think. thats what my buddy got for it. basically 3 times the cost of inspection. I think i am going to pull the headers next weekend.

1. they are loud and i prefered when my car was quite
2. i dont feel like i gained any power, maybe a little at 5K +
3. i would only feel that at autox, and i am doing ok now and will be doing much better with my new wheels and tires.

thanks for your help everyone,

Fubar
03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
You don't have to pass a sniffer test. Your car just has to have a clean OBDII port test. If you can make your car think it has cats, then you will pass the test.

google "mill eliminators"

jram
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
What model bmw do you have? Most aftermarket softwares will do the cat delete, meaning it will not throw codes.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/show_category.asp?txtsearchParamCat=Engine%20Chips

jragan
03-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Couldn't you also move your sensors down the exhaust path (after the seconary cats)?

Also something to research: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439308

m3smgii2002
03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
You don't have to pass a sniffer test. Your car just has to have a clean OBDII port test. If you can make your car think it has cats, then you will pass the test.

google "mill eliminators"

Yep, for OBDII cars (1995+?) they just command the ECU to do an emissions test and if it says "OK" you're done. I have a standard detuned ECU I use for emissions (and a different one for racing). I also have a "scantool" that I use to make sure there are no CELs before I take it for inspection (only has to pass for 5-minutes or so). Texas is EASY ... try California emissions :-)

RaceMX-M3
03-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Yep, for OBDII cars (1995+?) they just command the ECU to do an emissions test and if it says "OK" you're done. I have a standard detuned ECU I use for emissions (and a different one for racing). I also have a "scantool" that I use to make sure there are no CELs before I take it for inspection (only has to pass for 5-minutes or so). Texas is EASY ... try California emissions :-)

So if you clear the emission faults on the factory ecu *just* before testing it will pass?

mordor110
03-25-2010, 03:13 AM
So if you clear the emission faults on the factory ecu *just* before testing it will pass?

I think you have to log so many miles before the OBD II inspection machine will accept the data, they thought of that loop hole. A guy at work tried this with his CTS. I'm pretty sure he said you have to run at least 20 miles before it will let you do a state inspection, after resetting it. But he "reset" his by disconnecting the battery. You should be able to find a jumper online that you can plug in place of the O2 sensor that sends a default voltage (mid range setting) back to the ECU that tells it the O2's are good. I know the Mustang guys use these all the time.

If you get pulled for no inspection and get it inspected before the court date comes due and take the proof to the court most cities will just charge you a $10-$20 paperwork fee and drop the ticket. So you could go that route and see how long you get away with it.

Also if you take it and keep the failing insp' data printout most cops will cut you some slack I think. If you can show you've spent so much money ($300+?) trying to fix it to pass insp' they can't write you a ticket I heard somewhere. Down side to this is once you have a recorded insp' failure with the DPS they won't let you register the car either, so now you can potentially get two tickets.

m3smgii2002
03-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Yes, but I suppose I drove it to the station after resetting (3miles?). Not sure if all cars need more or less time before they can be retested. Next time il do it in the parking lot before submitting the car for testing!

White_lightning
03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes, but I suppose I drove it to the station after resetting (3miles?). Not sure if all cars need more or less time before they can be retested. Next time il do it in the parking lot before submitting the car for testing!

wrong... when you reset the ECU it takes about 30 min to complete a test cycle.. if your car hasnt completed at least 1 cycle you automatically fail.

m3smgii2002
03-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I never reset the ECU (i.e. unplugged battery connector) ... just cleared the fault codes with SCANTOOL. Are you saying that after the FAULT CODE clearing that I need to wait 30 mins before the OBDII emissions test can be successfully executed ?

Fubar
03-25-2010, 07:44 PM
I guess it depends on the car. I know that most Fords need 75 miles of closed loop (not WOT) for the ECU to complete it's emission tests. It tests the catalytic converters and the fuel cell pressurization, bla bla bla. On the Ford it shows a P1000 code to let you know it is still testing the system. You cannot pass inspection while it is doing this.